Welcome

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

About How easy is it to get a temporary clerical or customer service job in the Newark, DE area

How easy is it to get a temporary clerical or customer service job in the Newark, DE area?
I'm moving to the area in 2 weeks and can't do a long-distance job search (I live 2 hours away and work insane hours). My husband of 1 week is a student at the University of Delaware and had an apartment in the college's family housing practically thrown at him today. He jumped on it, so SURPRISE I'm moving to Newark on the 8th! Not a bad thing (we live near Dover DE, one of the most boring places on the planet and horrible to find a decent job in) so I'm glad to get out. I'm currently working as a department manager in a warehouse store so I have a lot of CS experience. I also have a lot of computer skills. I want to know how long to expect before getting an assignment through one of the temp agencies. I have a solid work history and I'm no slouch either. I can afford to be out of work for a month or 2 but still, I go crazy without work!
Careers & Employment - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Well I grew up in Newark, DE but haven't been there for awhile....although I hear the jobs are plentiful. Unfortunatly most companies go through temp. agencies to hire thier employees so I suggest you start there. I'm sure you will have no trouble getting a job in that area. By the way, I grew up on Cleveland Ave. which is right downtown. Its changed a lot since I was a kid but its still a pretty neat place to live. Good luck and God Bless
Answer 2 :
I used to live in Newark. It really isn't bad finding work there. Most of the temp jobs are with the big credit card banks. If you have customer service and computer skills, you might be better off applying at the banks directly because the benefits are better. There are plenty of other temp jobs in that area and don't rule out Wilmington. It's a little bit of a drive but there are buses running frequently until about 10 pm. Good luck in the job search and congrats on the marriage.
Answer 3 :
Greetings from A small tourist community on the Oregon Coast. I may live across the country but I have secured employment recently. I will share internet stuff so that you can start your search from the comfort of your current community. First try Americas Job Bank, And YAHOO Jobs with both you simply plug in the zip code or the name of the town your seeking employment in. Most banks have on line application processes. With heavy customer service back ground you could seek a bank job. Another source would be the college... check out their web site and click on employment ... pull up the local yellow pages on line... and then explore from there for web sites a lot of businesses list their web sites. Look for the local paper on line.. again this can be accomplished thru yahoo. and your states employment/ unemployment either the local office or their web site for the state... I did a total change of direction using my skills but applying them to a new direction.. I had over 20 yrs of customer service with sales or in a restaraunt setting... Now I am a receptionist... ok this is how I did it I described my former positons with one I was a hostess ( my second job was only suspose to last a few months it ended up 6 yrs) you were the first person of contact, both on the phone and in person hummm... basically the same thing.. but now I type and do some basic accounting and billing lol its not difficult they load more on each day.. I make more that I did at my last positon starting and I now have weekend off and I work a set schedule 6am- 3pm its a half hour drive each direction though ... but I have a great view of the columbia river and a great discount on fresh seafood... wholesale caught the same day .... yummm good luck and congradulations from a newly wed .....also the banks would have medical benifits that you might need for an unexpected illness or pregnacny... best wishes with the job search and in your new life with your husband...
Answer 4 :
you can try the temp agenices and also the regular employment agencies, for a fee they will find a good job for you and they usually let you make payments, since you have good work skills and management skills the regular employment agencies is your better bet, and they can also get you good benefits. temp agencies are ok for a minute but go for regular good paying jobs with a agency
Read more other entries :